I am human-centered Senior User Experience Designer experienced designing new and existing products for complex domains with complex technology like unstructured data, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. I also have the unique ability to learn and communicate complex domains/users to my peers on a product team so that we can collaborate, align, iteratively design/develop and products that are useful and usable.
While at IBM I lead the design/redesign of Watson for Drug Discovery and Watson for Patient Safety. When Watson for Patient Safety is released it will be a market disruptor and one of the most “cognitive” applications created by IBM. At Dell I redesigned multiple legacy products within the Information Technology domain, including collaborating on the strategic direction for Dell/Wyse Device Manager.
- Machine Learning and AI Product Design
- Data Visualization
- Design Strategy
- Design Systems
- Design and Systems Thinking
- Team Leadership/Collaboration
- Project Management
- Agile/Lean UX
- Experience Research
- Inclusive Design
- Contextual Inquiry
- User and Stakeholder Interviews
- Iterative Design Testing
- Workshop Planning and Facilitation
- Coaching and Mentoring
Director of Product Design
Compeat in Austin, TX | 4/2018 – 7/2018
Day-to-day design leadership that fostered a shared understanding of user-centered design at the intersection of design, business, and technology.
Senior UX Designer/Design Manager
IBM in Austin, TX | 8/2014 – 4/2018
Watson for Drug Discovery | Design Team Lead
- Improved the product’s usability by understanding the user and their domain, microbiology in drug research and discovery, so that the product would work for the user.
- Lead the product team through the ten-month redesigning of 6 disjointed applications into a single product experience for microbiologist doing drug research, development, and repurposing.
- Designed a product that immediately sold upon release and is being used by users without help to discover genes and proteins not known to be associated with diseases like ALS, MS, Parkinson's, Cancer and possible a “cure” for these and many more diseases.
Watson for Patient Safety | Design Strategist during discovery, Design Team Lead/Manager
- Conducted primary and secondary research to validate the business strategy with users and define the products design strategy.
- Onboard the design team by transferring my expert domain knowledge.
- Lead the client and product team through the product definition phase and maintained team alignment throughout the release plan.
- Championed the user needs over business process within the product leadership team and development team so that the product solved both the user and business needs.
- Lead the design of a product that uses machine learning and natural language processing to improve consistency, accuracy, reduce time and cost of processing adverse events.
Associate Professor of User Experience
Austin Community College in Austin, TX | 5/2015 – 8/2015
Planned and implemented an introductory level user experience course so that design students had a foundation in human-centered design and Design Thinking.
User Experience Designer
Dell in Round Rock, TX | 8/2011 – 9/2014
Wyse Device Manager | Design Strategist
- Embedded myself within the product team to promote collaboration and alignment.
- Completed experience research with the product teams, clients and key stakeholders to identify product usability issues and areas for usefulness improvements.
- Adapted and shorten the project timeline to reflect the new business direction.
- Delivered a vision prototype to development so that the product development could begin.
- Designed high-fidelity visual designs with specifications so that the remote development team could quickly learn a design language new to them.
iDRAC | User Experience and Visual Designer
- Reduced bottlenecks and dependence on design by moving my focus from tactical to strategic.
- Informed and helped prioritize the product release roadmap by using experience research and using an iterative design process so that the product solved more user needs.
Sprint in Overland Park, Kansas | 10/2007 – 8/2011
Collaborated with cross-functional teams to translate business and user requirements into workflows, wireframes and visual design compositions.
Developed kiosk and websites that were of usable, accessibility and web standards.
Breakthrough in Kansas City, Missouri |2/2006 – 1/2007
Re-designed websites so that server load was reduced by half, saving clients money and delivering an improved user experience. Decreased site production from four months to six weeks.
Exhibit & Advertising Manager
PROSOCO, Inc. in Lawrence, Kansas | 10/1999 – 2/2006
Managed marketing projects across all touchpoints from concept to completion. Coordinated vendor relationships to reduce production time and cost.
D2W: Designer/Developer/Mobile Workflow Conference, 2013 – “The Butterfly Effect of Engineering on UX Workflow, Deliverables and Engagement.”
UXPA Austin, January 2015 – Design Thinking Workshop in 90 minutes
UXPA Austin, June 2016 – Design Portfolio Panel from a Hiring Managers Perspective
Master of Arts in Interaction Design - University of Kansas in May 2011
Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design - Kansas Wesleyan University in June, 1993